The review reveals key points to Measuring Breath Acetone for Monitoring Fat Loss:
- Stored fat is used to meet the body’s energy demands and help people achieve fat loss goals by being a byproduct of fat metabolism.
- Consuming carbohydrates an hour before exercise decreased fat burn during exercise and prevented the onset of post-exercise fat burn.
- Breath acetone increased at the end of exercise, compared with at the beginning
- Caloric restriction and daily exercise subjects showed greater daily acetone levels than those with caloric restriction alone
- Maintaining a 2 ppm (parts per million) breath acetone concentration while on a calorie restriction diet should cause a fat loss rate of ½ lb per week.
For more information, the full review can be found in Obesity – A Research Journal.